Award winning urban craft winery was opened by Jeff and Gina Kirby in 2011. In December 2016, Dana and Ken Waldron took ownership. Prior to taking ownership Dana managed the winery and never thought it was something she would own (or would want to own). In her words, when she was asked to take over ownership, her exact answer was “hell no”. Thankfully her passion was her guide and today the original owner Jeff Kirby still produces all the wine in Shawnee Hills, Ohio while they own the perfect spot for our gathering.
The wine is produced and aged in stainless steel and oak barrels. It is kept on site of the Shawnee Hills production site. Once aged, it’s transferred into a wine tap system that you see along the wall in the winery.
They have some the absolutely coolest names for wine EVER. Their Bordeaux is the best selling red wine and has been since they day the opened.
Are you not dying over these wine names?!?!
Alongside some fantastic cheesecakes, we were treated to a few cheese plates. Featured here the Bellavitano Merlot Cheese and a wedge of double cream brie with an orange marmalade.
A second plate includes fresh mozzarella with a balsamic glaze and fresh sliced pepperoni.
Now onto the stuff that holds my heart… Sam The Cheesecake Girl was testing out new flavors and the cbusfoodbloggers got to be her guinea pigs. Always on the hunt for the perfect cheesecake because it was her absolute favorite but never finding “the one” she decided to take matters into her own hands.
Launching 2 years ago at Picnic with the Pops with her Key Lime Pie cheesecake, she knew she had created something special when a gentleman who absolutely hated cheesecake fell in love with hers.
For the longest time Sam was not only making cheesecakes but working her full time job. The 2016 holiday season really boomed for her and in February 2017 she made the leap to becoming The full-time Cheesecake Girl.
I have no shame people.
On average Sam will make 2 batches of a new cheesecake before getting the recipe perfect (if you’re looking for anyone to take those “bad” ones off your hands – you have my number).
Her boozy cheesecakes were a huge hit. Below is the RumChata Rasberry Cheesecake with a boozy shot of RumChata.
This shit is banana – b-a-n-a-n-a-s… Banana bread bottom with a pan fried and honey banana on top.
Give me all the minis
Gluten Free??? No worries – Sam makes gluten free cheesecakes upon request.
Wouldn’t be a post without “bloggers be bloggin”
When your friends are just the cutest and don’t judge you for eating cheesecake for breakfast the next day.
Monster Cookie Cheesecake with a chocolate ganache frosting.
My personal favorite this round – Peach Cobbler Cheesecake
Who am I kidding – they were all my favorite.
Cheesecake and Wine tastings – it’s a tough job but someone’s gotta do it.
5 Fun Things To Notes:
- Cheesecakes can be purchased at: Powell Village Winery and Local Roots. You can also grab some at some upcoming events such as the North Market (July 22-23; August 26-27; September 16-17); Shawn + Kates Glamping and Barn Bash July 15; Countertop Connections July 16; Olivina Taproom Event August 11; Seventh Son Brewery September 2; Plus many more. Check her website for more spots to grab your cheesecakes.
- The SweetlyCbus Cheesecake will be featured at the North Market July 22-23 (eeekkkk!!!)
- The first restaurant she ever sold her cheesecake at is located in Powell called Local Roots and she still sells there today. Each week she brings a new cheesecake and every week it sells out (and she never brings the same flavor).
- It’s extremely important to Sam to use all local ingredients and working with as many local business as possible when creating her specialty cheesecakes. She has worked with the Little Donut Factory for her Donut Cheesecake above; Sangria for the boozy cheesecake above comes from Powell Village Winery; Pouf Cotton Candy, Ill Manner Brewery, Miligans Bourbon Maple Syrup and many more.
- Big event planned – weddings, graduations, company party, high school reunion? Sam has a whole catering portion to her business and can supply cheesecakes in mass quantities for these events.